Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 50 mins
Total Time: 60 mins
Serving: 10 servings per recipe
850 g carrots
150 g onions
Low-salt chicken or vegetable stock cubes
Two sticks of celery
Two large cloves of garlic
¼ tsp black pepper
One tbsp olive oil
One bay leaf
One tsp chopped fresh thyme
One liter water
1. Peel and finely cut the onion, carrots, and turnips.
2. Chop the garlic and celery finely.
3. In a big pot, mix the finely chopped carrot and turnip with water four times their volume and bring it to a
4. Cook until the vegetables are tender.
5. Heat the olive oil in a pan while the carrots and turnips are cooking.
6. Add the celery, garlic, and onion to the oil. Toss the vegetables with a spoon in the oil to coat them.
7. Cover the pan.
8. Cook on low heat until the vegetables are softened. It will take you about 15 mins to do so.
9. Ensure nothing is burning or sticking by shaking the pot or uncovering and stirring it from time to time.
10. When cooked, mix in the boiled carrots and turnips.
11. Add a low-salt vegetable or chicken stock cube to one liter of boiling water to make chicken or vegetable stock.
12. Pour the stock over the vegetable mixture and stir to mix.
13. Combine the bay leaf and thyme in a bowl.
14. Use black pepper for seasoning.
15. Bring to a boil, reduce to low heat, and leave to simmer for 30 minutes with the lid off (or when the vegetables are cooked).
16. Take out the bay leaf.
17. Blend the soup in a food processor or liquidizer until it is smoothened.
18. Add more water at this step if you want a thin soup.